Tuesday, 3 November 2015

Tour de Nord - Teil 11

Part 11: Last day on the Lofoten Islands

Inevitably, I had to leave the Lofoten Islands again. I wanted to spend my last day in Henningsvaer. Of course. :-) I even still discovered some new sights!

I almost became an geologist on the Lofoten Islands - I loved the rocks!
And clouds! Finally some clouds!!! :-D
Henningsvaer = little Paris :)

There are 2 mountains in Henningsvaer, which you can see from anywhere in the village. For climbing the higher one, having a mountain guide with you is advised. And if even the Norwegians advise for a guide, it surely must be necessary! ;) So I decided to go for the humble second highest peak. All I wanted, was to see Henningsvaer from above anyways.

In the back: Henningsvaer' highest summit on the right (in the clouds),
my destination the peak on the left.

But then happened what was bound to happen sooner or later: I lost orientation. I started from the completely wrong location... I did wonder, why the track was nothing like described in my hiking book - but what else can you do then follow the track you have discovered...? ;)

After an hour or so (I had quite some difficulties finding a trail between the big boulders), I spotted a couple descending from the summit I thought I wanted to climb. When I met the couple, the woman screamed in surprise... there were not many other people around, and apparently she didn't expect to see anyone else. :-D
I then asked them - just to be sure - whether this is the trail to the smaller Henningsvaer summit. But the couple had never heard of the mountain I asked for... Instead they told me that I was on the trail to the highest peak in this area - just where I did NOT wanted to go. But they assured me that it would be an easy hike. At least up until the ridge - totally easy-peasy! And the view from up there! Simply spectacular! The woman said she had to hold her breathe, when she got up there - I just HAD to go and see for myself!! It would be totally doable also for a climbing-newbie like me!!

And so I trusted them. Even though I should have known better - they were Norwegians after all. I suppose they can't even imagine how it is to live in a totally flat environment... all of your life... :-D

Because reaching that ridge was all but easy. I had to climb over many boulders, and the trail was partially very steep with lots of loose gravel... But I kept climbing. I wanted to see my beloved Henningsvaer from above!!! :-)
Just below the ridge, there was a really difficult climbing part - if you ask me at least. For minutes I was wondering, whether I should climb it or not... After all I was alone. It was very steep and I had to actually do some "overhang-climbing" (meaning in my world, that I had no ground underneath, but clung only to the rock - for a few meters). 
But this view... I had this view in mind! And I was so close! So I just build up all my courage and did it (not knowing how I would ever ascend again...) - and I did it!!! I was rather pleased with myself, I must say! :-D 

Very proud, still filled with adrenaline, I reached the ridge - and was utterly disappointed! What I saw had nothing to do with what I wanted to see. There was no Henningsvaer no where. Only the Sea and a steep, rocky hillside. That's what I had "risked my life" for.... Pfff.....
The summit wasn't too far away either, but I didn't dare to go any further. So instead I again gathered all my courage and climbed all the way down again. Luckily, the difficult climbing part seemed a lot easier on the way back - or then I was all experienced already... ;-)

So, this last day on the Lofoten Islands ended with an unfinished hike and a non-view. Whoohoo. ;-) I was still quite happy - solely because of my mountain climbing debut. ;-)

Climbing the wrong mountain... not
 For a long time, the ridge seemed to be pretty far away...
I was down in the valley, the ridge was up there...
 But the landscape was beautiful - and thankfully there were some clouds in the sky!
 Probably doesn't show, but it was steep. 
And during the real "life-threatening sections", I didn't take pictures... ;-)
 And that's the spectacular, breath-taking view!
Those Norwegians... ;-) :-D
 The summit - within reach, yet not. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment