Friday, 19 February 2016

Sometimes age pays off! :-D

I am in the process of getting some bureaucratic issues in order. One of the things on my list: getting a more modern driver's licence. :-D

I may admit that I haven't used my one-and-only (the first) driver's licence without pride. The older I got, the more I like it. :-D But I had been increasingly encouraged to change my German pink paper version into a more up-to-date EU version... So now, I thought, was the time to be a good citizen and make things easier for the authorities. I live abroad after all. ;)

Bye bye, my first! :-)

From this year on, it's not the police anymore that exchanges diver's licences, but Ajovarma, a carrier of the police. I had made an appointment, and the entire procedure was meant to take less than 30 min. But when I handed my driver's licence over to the young woman, who handled my inquiry, I could tell by the look in her eyes that it's gonna take much longer...

You would think she has encountered a German driver's licence before - there's so many Germans  - everywhere... ;) But nope. She immediately shouted for help from her colleague... What followed was a lot of questions and a lot of secret consultations amongst the staff of Ajovarma.

Is this a valid document????

Can I see your passport? Hm... Can I see your KeLa card, please?

Why is there no expiry date on your "driver's licence"?? How can there not be an expiry date???

What do I do, if there is no expiry date on that "driver's licence"?

Do I need to ask for a health certificate from her? (meaning me - and me, being insulted by this question - I am not THAT old yet!)

Have you been driving in Finland????

(asking her colleagues) What is the country code for Germany? D? Noo, D is Denmark! Hm, Saksa... what could it be?? (I confirmed it would be D, but I was ignored.) After browsing the internet: Huh, Denmark is DK! It's D for Germany. Huh...

Hm, you are wearing glasses... Do you need to wear glasses? -Yes.- Hm, hm, hm... what do I do, it doesn't say in your old "driver's licence" that you have to wear glasses. So I cannot say in your new one that you have to wear glasses when driving a car.... hm, hm, hm... ah, I just don't say that you need to wear glasses! It didn't say in your old one either. (whoohooo, one day I am gonna be wild and drive blindly - with permission from the Finnish authorities! ;-) )

OK, this is your new preliminary driver's licence! You'll get the new one in a few weeks from now. Your old document will be send back to Germany. -Wait, it says that I am only allowed to drive cars, and not even a trailer behind the car! I know I am allowed to drive at least a van with my German drivers licence, I would like to have the same permission for my new licence, please.-

Whaaaat???

Then she was more than half an hour gone. Discussing with her colleagues, browsing the internet.... 

In the meantime, I had time for some art. ;)

When she came back, she said that I wasn't allowed to have a trailer behind the car, and I wasn't allowed to drive a van either, BUT I would be entitled to drive a truck with a trailer, if it's heavier than 750 kg and up to 12 t!

Well, now we're talking!!!!! :-D :-D :-D

But not as a professional truck driver, only in your free time! :-D I accepted the terms.

At work I was laughing so much, because I found it funny that I wasn't allowed to drive a van, but the real heavy stuff! But in the afternoon, my phone rang. It was the boss from Ajovarma, apologising to me. There would be a mistake...
My first thought: Oh no, now they'll take the truck licence away from me.... :-D
But instead, he said that I was in fact entitled to drive many more vehicles than has been stated in my preliminary driver's licence! I was also allowed to drive motorcycles, cars with trailer, vans, trucks, and trucks with trailers! He would be so sorry, but I had to come by again in order to update the information.

Hell yeah, I'm coming by again with pleasure!!! :-D

Now, I have an impressive collection of the alphabet on my new driver's licence! And I am basically allowed (but not able) to conduct just about anything - except for an airplane maybe! ;) Really, I should have done this earlier! :-D

I now toy with the idea to ask my neighbour, a truck driver, to let me drive around with his truck. In my free time, of course. ;) And I need a motorcycle, too! Obviously. I should live up to the skills stated on my new driver's licence! :-)

4 comments:

  1. Super lustig :-)
    Nun bist du nicht mehr auf dein Auto abgewiesen und kannst alles nehmen, was da zo rum steht. lari96

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicht wahr?! So viel mehr Flexibilität beim Reisen... :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am Montag fahre ich uebrigens zur dt. Botschaft nach Helsinki. Ich will einen neuen Perso beantragen. Mal sehn, was ich da noch raus schlagen kann... Eine zweite Staatsbuergerschaft vielleicht. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wer weiss :-) Kannst deinen Namen aendern, wenn du moaechtest oder oder oder so viele Moeglichkeiten in Finnland. lari96

    ReplyDelete