Two weeks ago, I did what I had been waiting for months already: I went on a hike to Trolltunga! Ever since I went to the job interview in Bergen, I've been dreaming about this hike. And ever since I knew I would indeed start working in Bergen and that there would be a long weekend coming up in May, I knew I wanted to hike to Trolltunga on this weekend! And lucky-go-happy I am, the weather has been just plain perfect for this long hike!!! :-D
On Saturday, we drove to Skare, at the end of the beautiful, beautiful "Odda valley". There are many ways to go from Bergen to Odda: one street/bridge way and 3 different ferry options. By now, I've taken them all! :-D
In Skare, I stayed in a nice apartment in Nicki's house (an Airbnb host). In the afternoon, I left for a shorter hike with the boys. I really love the area around Odda! But unfortunately, the boys were playing a bit too wildly, and Charlie injured his front paw. Maybe he took a wrong step or something, but the outcome was that - one day before the Trolltunga hike - Charlie was limping on 3 legs only! :-(
I really didn't know what to do. I had come all this way only for this hike, that I was looking forward to. I had booked a guided tour, which was recommended at this time of the year. But I didn't feel good to just leave Charlie alone in an unfamiliar place for more than 12 hours... I was slightly desperate. But then came Nicki, my host! :-) She is such a warm and kind woman, and she has dogs herself, so she immediately felt my dilemma. :-) She suggested that Charlie could stay in the apartment, and that she would walk him, while I was gone. I told her that this didn't work too well in the past... so she suggested to spend an hour with us, so that Charlie would get acquainted to her. Super nice! In the end, we spend the entire evening together, chatting, laughing and Nicki didn't skimp with cuddly care for Charlie. :-)
The next morning, Stöpsel and I left for the hike - and Charlie stayed visibly anxious at the apartment. I had a very bad conscience, and I couldn't really enjoy the beginning of the hike. But again Nicki sensed how I would feel and sent me a text message, telling me that she and Charlie would be in the garden, enjoying the sun, and that everything would be good. So super nice! :-)
Then, I truly enjoyed this hike!!!!! :-)
The first 1-2 km where pretty tough as it went straight upwards, about 900 m. There were about 24 people, who had booked the guided tour, and we were divided in a faster and a slower group. I was in the faster group, but during these first kilometres, I wished I wouldn't be. Going uphill is not my strong suit; I wasn't born that way. ;-) But luckily, there was an end to the beginning. ;) Afterwards, there were many uphill sections, too, but not as steep and long any more. In addition, I released Stöpsel from the leash, and it was easier to concentrate just on my own walking, not on his as well.
But Stöpselito!! He was so great! He didn't move an inch away from me! At times, he went so closely behind me, that he even stepped on my snow shoes. For him it was strange to be alone with me. There haven't been many occasions in the past, when it was only the two of us.
During the course of the hike, he gained more and more confidence. After a longer break (maybe after 9 km) he was no longer shy towards the other people in the group, and he even started to "herd" our group, walking forward and backward along our group, making sure everybody would still be there! And when we had a break, he growled when he saw other people approaching "our camp"! :-D
And he had no problems what so ever with the long hike: 25 km, around 900 meters of elevation (in total more than that), 10h 45min, and Stöpsel kept going and going. No signs of tiredness. No complaints. And on our way back from Trolltunga, he even met a nice "lady friend", and the two of them had some extra energy to chase each other over a wide, snowy valley. :-D Even our guide was impressed by my little power package; at first, he didn't look too happy, when he saw me coming with this little white dog! :)
Only after around 20 km, Stöpsel lay down in the grass for 2 minutes! And only on the last metres, when we had taken a different route back to the parking lot (because one of the guys had an injured knee and could barely walk any more - the steep part would have been too painful for him), which led us over a street-to-be, where there were lots of sharp stones and roots on the ground, and it was even for me difficult to walk - only then, he sat down in strike, not wanting to follow me down this stupid path any more. But it didn't take much convincing to make him move on - I just had to say "come, come" and then the little tough guy kept on walking with me. :-)
I was very proud of him!!!! :-)
And when we arrived back at Nicki's place, she was waiting with Charlie for us in the garden already. The two had spend the entire day together! They were sitting in the garden, going on short walks, cuddling on the sofa... Charlie hadn't been a second alone!!! And I could see that he really enjoyed his time with Nicki and her family! I was so very grateful to them! And Stöpsel was energetic enough to initiate a running game with Charlie - he was so relieved that we didn't leave Charlie behind for good. ;-)
The next morning, we took our time to wake up. Nicki recommended me a new route to Bergen, where I could enjoy the blooming apple trees, and I left promising her that we would see again.
Of course, it hasn't been in my intention that to be the very same day... :-D But on the ferry, many kilometres away from Nicki, I noticed that I had forgotten one bag in her yard - and so we took the ferry right back and visited her once again. When we came back, she invited me to a barbecue with her family. That was actually very nice, sitting in the sun, eating sausages and potato salad... I almost forgot that I still had to drive back home. ;-)
It had been a super nice weekend!!!
And here are some photos trying to illustrate the beauty of Odda region...
First route via ferry to Jondal
Unfortunately, this is not Finland, you have to pay for these ferries...
In Låtefossen.
I passed by here when moving to Bergen, and I wondered how I could have not noticed the huge waterfalls in this area...
But the answer was simple: they were not there, when I passed by. The water was still frozen up in the mountains.
Afternoon stroll by Skare.
Last picture of an uninjured Charlie...
Parking lot at the starting point to Trolltunga.
My brave little companion!
The snow shoes were provided by our guides.
But we had to carry them ourselves. ;)
After the first steep section. 2 km done, 9 km to go.
(well, and then you have to come back, too... ;) )
I was surprised by the amount of snow! But that's why they want tourists to take a guided tour at this time of the year. Not everybody followed this recommendation, though, and I have seen people crawling through the snow in shiny canvas shoes... I am not sure they made it to the Trolltunga...
Every now and then there were a few steep parts,
which cost some energy due to the snow.
;-D
And up the caravan goes...
The view was stunning at all times. I loved it!
(less weight to carry, too ;) )
Our guide had skies with him.
Me and my loyal little companion. :)
camping site
Stöpsel checks out the others of our group.
He liked their supplies more than mine... :-D
photo taken by our guide
Look at cute little Stöpsel!! ♥
And look how much stuff I carry around compared to the others... I have to improve my hiking gear!
herding his herd... ;-D
Luckily, he didn't get a sunburn on his nose!
Arriving at Trolltunga - which isn't visible at first. :-D
♥
living at the edge...
you cannot trust Stöpsel around steep edges!
The obligatory picture of me on the troll's tongue! :-)
There's Stöpsel's "lady friend". :-)
She was one of the guide's dog, and she used every opportunity to rest.
Not so Stöpsel, he kept walking around...
Going back...
♥
Enough energy left for a little crazy-run! :-D
But who wouldn't want to impress this beauty? ;)
On the way to Trolltunga, I was under the impression that we went uphill most of the time.
On our return path, I had the very same feeling. :-D
Don't ask me how that's possible, but you can tell from the other's body language that they felt the same way... ;-)
Finally Stöpsel takes a short rest!
Almost back at the parking lot...
The next day, driving through beautiful scenery.
On the ferry from Utne to Kvanndal, I noticed the missing bag
- and back we drove through beautiful scenery! :-D
Bye, Kvanndal!
Hello again, Utne!
Odda ♥
You can't drive through often enough!!! :)
Last ferry ride for the weekend: to Gjerdmundshamn
(I actually had no intention to take that route, but somehow I took a wrong turn, and there we were...) :-D
But now I know all the possible ways from Bergen to Odda! One more beautiful than the other. :-)
Stöpsel finally got some rest. :)
I passed by here when moving to Bergen, and I wondered how I could have not noticed the huge waterfalls in this area...
But the answer was simple: they were not there, when I passed by. The water was still frozen up in the mountains.
Afternoon stroll by Skare.
Last picture of an uninjured Charlie...
Parking lot at the starting point to Trolltunga.
My brave little companion!
The snow shoes were provided by our guides.
But we had to carry them ourselves. ;)
After the first steep section. 2 km done, 9 km to go.
(well, and then you have to come back, too... ;) )
I was surprised by the amount of snow! But that's why they want tourists to take a guided tour at this time of the year. Not everybody followed this recommendation, though, and I have seen people crawling through the snow in shiny canvas shoes... I am not sure they made it to the Trolltunga...
Every now and then there were a few steep parts,
which cost some energy due to the snow.
;-D
And up the caravan goes...
The view was stunning at all times. I loved it!
The weather was simply amazing! Almost no clouds, no wind, clear view and lots of sun and snow.
At the end of the day, I had the sunburn of my life...
Snow was getting deeper and more difficult to walk on - we switched to the snow shoes.(less weight to carry, too ;) )
Our guide had skies with him.
Me and my loyal little companion. :)
camping site
Stöpsel checks out the others of our group.
He liked their supplies more than mine... :-D
photo taken by our guide
Look at cute little Stöpsel!! ♥
And look how much stuff I carry around compared to the others... I have to improve my hiking gear!
herding his herd... ;-D
Luckily, he didn't get a sunburn on his nose!
Arriving at Trolltunga - which isn't visible at first. :-D
♥
living at the edge...
you cannot trust Stöpsel around steep edges!
The obligatory picture of me on the troll's tongue! :-)
There's Stöpsel's "lady friend". :-)
She was one of the guide's dog, and she used every opportunity to rest.
Not so Stöpsel, he kept walking around...
Going back...
♥
Enough energy left for a little crazy-run! :-D
But who wouldn't want to impress this beauty? ;)
On the way to Trolltunga, I was under the impression that we went uphill most of the time.
On our return path, I had the very same feeling. :-D
Don't ask me how that's possible, but you can tell from the other's body language that they felt the same way... ;-)
Finally Stöpsel takes a short rest!
Almost back at the parking lot...
The next day, driving through beautiful scenery.
On the ferry from Utne to Kvanndal, I noticed the missing bag
- and back we drove through beautiful scenery! :-D
Bye, Kvanndal!
Hello again, Utne!
Odda ♥
You can't drive through often enough!!! :)
Last ferry ride for the weekend: to Gjerdmundshamn
(I actually had no intention to take that route, but somehow I took a wrong turn, and there we were...) :-D
But now I know all the possible ways from Bergen to Odda! One more beautiful than the other. :-)
Stöpsel finally got some rest. :)


































No comments:
Post a Comment