Saturday, 13 August 2016

New Life, New Language

Summer is coming to an end. At work, it's not that deserted anymore, all the closed cafeterias are opening again and the doors are no longer locked - that's how you know summer is over! :-D Even though it could be argued that summer was never actually here... ;) 

But anyways, with return of normal work life, also language courses are being offered again. And I really do want to learn this funny Norwegian language! :-) Too bad, I am neither a student nor employed by the University nor the spouse of someone who is... That makes university language courses out of reach for me. And courses that are provided by public or privat adult education centres are FREAKING EXPENSIVE. A beginner's course that lasts 2 months, once a week only, costs around 500 Euro (not including the textbook you need)! Unnskyld meg?? (Norwegian for WTF ;-) )

Maybe that's a normal price - when I attended Finnish courses, I still counted as a student - but it's far more money than I intend to spend. After all, I do have other hobbies and interests as well. :-P

In other words: Goodbye, language course! Hello, language App! :-D 
I am not sure how well that will work out - after all, I am not the biggest language expert - but it is cheaper that way. Three days ago, I started to follow my phone's instructions and to learn whatever Norwegian word it throws at me. And already today, I had my first proud language moments!
First, somebody shouted "Unnskyld!?" after me on the street - and I knew he wanted to ask me something! Hahaaaa! (naturally I couldn't say anything back in Norwegian other than "Hä?")
And then I listened to the radio and suddenly I realised that I understood what the song was about: Jenter - Girls!!!! Oh, what a nice feeling! Just don't you ask me what's up with the girls in the song... My App hasn't taught me any of the other words yet. ;-)

I remember I had a similar proud moment when understanding a word or two from Finnish songs on the radio - that was after a couple of years attempting to learn Finnish! So maybe, maybe, this App of mine is good for something. And so cheap (= free), too. :-D

And here for you to enjoy, my first Norwegian song: ;-)
(nice language, isn't it!?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment