A couple of weeks ago, I also got in contact with a family here in Bergen, who has a Kromfohrländer as well! Obviously, we had to meet for a play date. :-)
The family was very nice, gave me tips about where to buy what food and to what vet to go best etc. But mostly we were just standing there in awe - looking at our dogs, all the same breed, yet so very different! We were constantly looking for differences and similarities, both in behaviour as well as in their looks. Just like I keep comparing my two boys, who are so very different from each other as well. Say what you will, but Kromfohrländer are a special breed !! :-D
But despite the different appearances and characters, you can still recognise the major traits of this breed: like the love for their family, the staying close, learning quickly, eating badly, or the trying hard to really understand what it is you are saying... :-D So lovely!
I just wonder what Ilse was thinking, when she came up with the name for the breed!? I mean... K R O M F O H R L Ä N D E R ! Really? Why??? It was difficult for me - a native German - to remember and pronounce the name correctly ( I might still do it wrong). But for foreigners... it's quite literally a pain in the ass. ;-) There is no week passing by that I am not being asked about these lovely dogs of mine and what breed it is - just to end up starring into disbelieving faces.
In our neighbourhood, one girl solved the problem of remembering that complicated breed name by simply shouting out "Ah, the Germans !!!" when she sees us. :-D
Or maybe I start telling people that Charlie & Stöpsel are Parson Jack Russell Terriers. Well fed. ;-)
A Kromfohrländer lady, 1 year young. :-)
Charlie didn't wanted her to come close, Stöpsel played with her a bit
- but for the most part they didn't pay any attention to each other. :-D
Same, same, but different! :-)
Last week I also visited a vet the family had recommended to me. It's embarrassing to admit, but I don't dare to cut Charlie's nails any more. It's too much of a struggle. And in addition, his nails are so hard and partially black, that I fear I will hurt him. Stöpsel's nails, on the other hand, are very soft. They rarely need cutting, because they shorten automatically when he is walking on rocks etc.
So I went to the vet to have Charlie's nails cut, and to also get to know the place. The vet was very friendly and felt my and Charlie's pain about this whole unnecessary procedure (because I should be able to do it). The vet tried to give Charlie some treats afterwards, but naturally he wouldn't take any. When the vet heard that Charlie prefers toys, his eyes lightened up, he took the ball out of my hand and threw it so hard on the floor that it was bouncing of the walls all over the place. :-D Charlie was very happy! They did that play for 5 minutes. Good vet! ;)
And I also got the chance to weigh the boys. Their appetite has grown after the castration, and I was a bit afraid that especially Charlie had gained some weight...But nope. All the same! Stöpsel is even slightly heavier than Charlie. But no reason for a diet just yet! ;-)






No comments:
Post a Comment