A few months back,
I stumbled over the holiday of my dreams. Accidentally. Never before I dreamt
of climbing a mountain this high, let alone the Kilimanjaro. But I do love
mountains... And I have always, always loved Africa (like all of it). So when I
saw a journey that combined climbing Kilimanjaro with a safari in Kenya, there
was no turning back: my heart was ON FIRE! :-D
And so it happened
that I left Bergen on December 27th, which happens to be my birthday, to fly
via Amsterdam to Kilimanjaro airport. Not that I care much about my birthday
(too old for that ;) ), but having to show my passport a million of times along
the way, I was sure waiting for someone to notice. ;-) But nobody did
(awwwww...). And so I was sitting in the airplane, thrilled - both, because I
was on my way to Tanzania and because it was my birthday - sippin' on my free
Amarula liqueur and looking out of the window. How very satisfied I was! :-D
I sat next to one
of the other participants of this trip. Å., his name. He was the oldest of
us: 73 years old! We were just flying over the Alps, with ice-blue sky and
clear vision over the snow-covered mountaintops, when I tried to share my
excitement with him... "Isn't it beautiful?!? Look at those mountains!!!!
How lucky we are to have this good vision?!!" But all I reaped was a look and:
"Nah... in Norway we have mountains, too! And fjords!!! That's much more
beautiful!" And bam the blinds were closed. :-D But no worries, I still
had my Amarula to enjoy! ;-)
Later on that
flight, I tried some more small talk with him. Whether he would be excited
already? And what was his family thinking about him going on such an adventure (in
his age)? The answers were Å.-style: wife is dead - that's how he could
afford going on this trip (paying for 2 would have been too expensive). And of
his 2 daughters, one doesn't care and the other was mad at him, because he
didn't take her along.
Alrighty... Good
talk. Hm, Amarula liqueur...!!! ;-)
We arrived late in
the evening, and after having dealt with Visa issues, we were brought to a
hotel in Moshi. It was only then that I was aware of who actually belongs to
our little hiking group (13 plus one Norwegian guide): a family of 4 (the
'kids' being the youngest of us: 18 and 20 years old); a sporty woman with her
sporty father-in-law; a father, his daughter and her boyfriend; old Å.; the
Norwegian guide; and 3 singles - all celebrating their birthdays in the course
of this trip!!! :-D
And so the journey began!
Early the next morning, our duffel bags were collected and we drove around 4 h
to the Northern part of the Kilimanjaro National Park, from where we would take
the Rongai Route to go to the summit. Needless to say, but I already enjoyed the bus ride. :)
In the streets of Moshi.
The "Tanzanian Christmas tree", because it blossoms in red in December.
Some of the trees had already lost leaves + blossoms.
termites' nests !! :)
View from our hotel room in the morning: first glimpse of Mount Kilimanjaro! :-)
Loading our duffel bags
The blue one is mine :-D
I absorbed
everything: the people, the streets, the plants and the trees. :-) Even the
warm summer breeze. ;)
On the road...
unloading...
Rongai Route starts very close to the border to Kenya, which is seen down below in the background.
And a few words of
wisdom about Mount Kilimanjaro - because I always had the wrong image of this
mountain in my head! :-D It is in fact a dormant volcano, with 3 volcano cones:
Kibo, Mawenzi, and Shira. When you see Kilimanjaro from afar, it looks like
this:
photo by David Daniel Turner
On images of Kilimanjaro,
they usually only show Kibo! Which is why I was wondering for quite a while,
why Kilimanjaro looks so very different in real life than it does on pictures...
:-D So, the Kibo summit is seen on the left, with the mountain's highest point
right on the lip of the Kibo crater, the so-called Uhuru Peak (5895 m; Uhuru =
Swahili for freedom). The Mawenzi crater is the second highest summit of
Kilimanjaro, and is seen on the right.
And with this
informative bit of wisdom, I give you a reading break - more pictures and
stories (about the actual hike) coming up soon! ;-)











No comments:
Post a Comment