And so the hike
began! :)
Six days were set
for the ascent: from Rongai Gate (2000 m) to Simba Campsite (2635 m) to Second
Cave Campsite (3450 m) to Kikelwa Campsite (3675 m) to Mawenzi Tarn Hut Campsite
(4302 m) to Kibo Huts (4720 m) and from there to Uhuru Peak (5895 m).
Hiking was made very easy for us. All we needed to carry was our daypack. The rest - our duffel
bags, the tents, the food, the toilets, .... simply all our amenities - were
carried for us. This was the part I was the most uncomfortable with when I
booked this trip: the idea of other people having to carry my stuff. Didn't
feel right. And so, the first day, I apologised to every other porter that was
overtaking me on the path, carrying a heavy load on his head. They in turn just
laughed at me. And later I knew why: the locals are very fit, they have no
problems with the altitude - and they simply earn their living with this job,
which is an easy one compared to e.g. farm life in Tanzania. And I suppose
guilty/happy tourists give pretty good tips - we did at least. ;-)
In the morning of
the second day, we all gathered around and every single one was introduced by
name and job - because we were now one big hiking family. :-D That's how I
learned that for the 14 of us, 53 locals were hired: 1 main guide, 4 helper
guides, 1 cook, 2 waiters, 2 'toilet engineers', 2 'tent engineers', and
porters, many, many porters.
And then we
developed a routine: each day was similar. At 6:30 (it wasn't a real holiday
when it comes to sleeping ;) ) we were woken up in our tents with a cup of tea
or coffee. We then had 30 min to drink the coffee, pack our things
together and go to the main tent, where we would all sit on a big table, being
served breakfast.
Before my trip, I
had the idea of having to eat a lot of rice, or at least simple food that would
easily fill the stomachs of a lot of people... But how wrong have I been?! The
food was amazing - and not only considering the challenges of cooking in a tent
AND at high altitude! We could choose eggs in all flavours, sausages, bread,
porridge, fruits, .... It was delicious! At first, I thought that I better eat
as much as I can, because surely I would loose my appetite at higher
altitude... but that never happened! :-D I kept enjoying the food and I kept
eating and eating - and that's how I didn't even loose a single gram of fat on
that hiking trip (which was planned differently)! :-D
During the
breakfast feast, our tents were disassembled, our duffel bags were weighed, and
each porter got a load of equal weight. And then they left to arrive at the next
campsite before us. Porters carrying the kitchen equipment etc. would overtake
us along the way - because they had no need to walk this ridiculously slow. :-D
And so it happened
that every day, after 3-5 h of hiking, we would arrive at the next campsite,
where our tents were already waiting for us, with our duffle bags inside! It
took me a while to realise that it was always the same guy carrying my duffel
bag. The porters knew, who is sharing the tent with whom... and they had
certain preferences of where they would prepare the tent for us. Our porters (I
shared the tent with L.) seemed to always set up a tent for us in close
proximity to the toilets. :-D And when we arrived at the camp, they were
waiting for us, waving with their arms and guiding us to our tent. :-) We then
unpacked and usually had to change clothes, because it was raining a lot... And
then it was already time for lunch in the main tent. Again, the food was
amazing! For lunch and dinner, we always got a soup and a main dish with meat and vegetables and salad... even French fries! And when it was somebody's birthday, the cook baked a delicious cake, which was shared with the entire "hiking family" with a lot of singing and dancing. :-)
After lunch we could rest shortly, and then we would leave for an acclimatisation hike, meaning that you
climb higher, spend at least 20-30 min up there, and then go down to the campsite
again, where you sleep. This way, you can help your body to adjust better to
the increasing altitude.
And after the acclimatisation hike, it was popcorn time! No kidding, we got popcorn every afternoon with some
tea and coffee. :) After dinner, we usually just went straight to sleep.
Because we had to rise and shine early...
(But writing this down, I get an idea why I didn't loose any weight... ;-) )
Another daily
routine, which became a pain in the ass, was drinking. Drinking lots of water.
LOTS OF it. In fear of developing altitude sickness, we all drank as much as we
could. 4-5 litres, I believe. Sometimes more. In the beginning, it wasn't difficult
to do. But with every day I had to force the water down more and more. The last
day before the summit attempt, I had to add flavour to my water, otherwise I
wouldn't have been able to drink it at all.
And all the peeing
that results from drinking this much!! Dio mio... You wouldn't believe how very
annoying that can get! Drinking and peeing, drinking and peeing,.... at day, at
night, all the time. And with the vegetation getting more and more sparsely, it
became more and more challenging to find a "private spot", too.
I actually had to
laugh about the sounds of the tent zippers at night. It soon became a very
familiar sound. :-D Constantly somebody had to leave the tent and go pee... and
zippers at night are surprisingly loud. And then the morning conversation would
start with a "Oh my god, I went peeing only once at night - I think I
might be dehydrated!! I have to drink more!!" ;-D
And this is how
every day would be. :-) Unfortunately, we were a bit unlucky with the weather.
Every day, it was raining a bit more, and we barely had any view. I could have
been hiking anywhere - in Bergen, in fact! - it would have been the same sight!
Only every now and then we got a glimpse of what we could have seen... Like the
view over Kenya down below, seen from an "airplane perspective",
because we were already over 4000 m high. :-)
But apart from the
plants and the landscape that was surely different from Bergen, being at high
altitude was certainly different from hiking in Norway as well. ;-) That was
something I had been very curious about... How would it feel to be this high up,
with less oxygen than usually?
Well, it was interesting! :-D The funniest feeling was to be out of breath (as if I would
walk uphill) while simply walking on a plain surface. Or needing a few minutes
to catch your breath after having turned around in your sleeping bag. :-D
But when being calm/still,
I didn't feel the thin air at all. Everything felt normal. But as soon as I got
up too quickly (meaning normal, sea level speed) I felt pretty light headed for
a second. I quickly also noticed that if I walk too fast (meaning that I start
to breathe faster), I'll get a headache. Nothing too bad, but still slightly
unpleasant - well, a headache. ;) But taking Aspirin+Burana (mixing German and
Finnish pain medication traditions! :-D ) helped immediately.
The
other precaution we took to ease altitude problems: to walk slowly. S L O W L
Y! Or: Pole, pole!! :) Which is Swahili for S L O W L Y! And we heard it all
day long. Pole, pole! Walk pole, pole! :-D We literally placed one foot in
front of the other, and later, we even took a pause in between! :-D I really
had not expected having to walk this pole, pole! :-D On the way to the last
camp before the summit attempt (at 4720 m), our main guide filmed us with his
phone. It was a funny sight! Western tourists, all walking in a line in
lockstep, wearing rain ponchos with the heads deep down, walking in slow motion
up a hill that doesn't look like much of a difficulty. And then you see porters
walking by, overtaking us, with huge loads on their heads, walking normal speed
- which only makes us look all the more pathetic! :-D
But that's just how
it goes - at least, if you try to prevent altitude sickness. There were other
tourists walking faster than us. But some of them I also saw turn around,
aborting the hike....
Luckily, I had no real problems with the
altitude!! I had expected nausea, vomiting, all kinds of digestive problems,
loss of appetite, even a messed up menstrual cycle (you get the full list! ;)
) ... but I had nothing! All was normal (apart from the occasional headache). I
was really lucky - because that's all it is: being lucky! There is no way to
predict or to prevent altitude sickness - if you are sensitive to it, you are
sensitive - independent of your fitness level, age or life style. The only precaution
is to walk slowly and to drink a lot.
And here are a few impressions of our hike:
Starting point of the Rongai/Nalemuru Route
Many farms and fields along the first kilometers
The kids have learned what tourists want... They pose for pictures, and want chocolate in return.
My heart was broken, because all of my sweets were in the duffel bag. It was the same for the others... so they gave the kids a few US dollars - just to look at disappointed faces. They wanted chocolate, not money. :-/
Some porters overtaking us.
last "supermarket"... :)
less farms, more jungle ;)
Our 4 'helper guides' :-)
breakfast!
our crew :-)
singing and dancing ♥
more singing, more dancing - but not our "hiking family" ;)
more singing, more dancing - but not our "hiking family" ;)
The next morning starts with a pleasant surprise: We get a swift glimpse of Kibo!! :-)
didn't last long... ;)
The rain poncho was the most important equipment from now on.
lunch! :)
our first acclimatisation hike
our 2 main guides (one local, one Norwegian)
my tent mate L. in front of Kibo, which revealed itself (a little bit) for a split second
back to 2nd campsite: Second Cave (3450 m)
(There are a lot of caves along the way... they were originally used as campsites.)
Again, the morning started with a pleasant surprise! Kibo could be seen in all its beauty!!
This was such a brief happening that most of the others didn't get a chance to it.
(Lucky me had to go pee early... :-D )
You can even see one of the glaciers on the top!!! :)
As I said, the view was brief... ;) Leaving for the third campsite.
poncho time!! :-D
Arriving at the 3rd campsite: Kikelwa (3675 m)
I loved those... plants. :)
Another of those brief moments: Kenya can be seen!
We were coming back from our acclimatisation hike up to 4000 m.
back at the camp
camp in the evening
Morning of day 4
There we are, hiking in our ponchos...
!
You are not a proper guide, if you don't carry an umbrella with you! ;)
Arriving at the 4th campsite: Mawenzi Tarn Hut (4302 m)
(It is said to be beautifully located just beneath the second highest Kilimanjaro summit, Mawenzi...)
photo taken by our Norwegian guide (obviously)
You can see me and my poncho right behind him! ;-D
acclimatisation hike up to 4500 m
Up there was a rare spot of cell phone reception. And because we had to sit there in the drizzle for at least 20 min, everyone was retreating in their ponchos, fiddling with their phones. ;-D
back at the camp
It was new year's eve and it was L.'s 40th birthday!
Cake and singing time!!!!
(We went to bed very early, though. Nobody cared for the turn of the year...)
In the morning we get a glimpse of Mawenzi!
disassembly of our camp - the toilets are still standing ;)
Leaving for the last camp before the summit attempt!
You wouldn't believe we are climbing a mountain... :-D
old plane crash site...
Kibo must be somewhere right ahead of us... But who could tell? ;)
In the afternoon, at the 5th campsite: Kibo Huts (4720 m)
Indeed! There is Kibo! :-D
And also Mawenzi showed himself - exactly, briefly!
To be continued... :-)











































No comments:
Post a Comment