Sunday, 5 February 2017

Masai Mara ♥

After landing in Kenya, in the land of the Maasai, we were picked up with landrovers and went on safari straight away. And we did a lot of safaris! In the evening, in the morning, at night... at all times, but in the middle of the day. It was really warm (I'm guessing around 35°C) and all the animals tried to find shade and minimise all movement - us included.

Before my vacation, one of my colleagues said to me that being on safari is interesting only shortly - then it would get kind of boring, because you've seen the animals already... Well, I couldn't disagree more. :) I loved this so much!! And I have seen most of these animals before, in South Africa, and in zoos obviously... but it doesn't get boring for me. Not even close. Not after having seen the hundredths zebra or the fifteenth giraffe... Never ever. ;-) Which is why there are so many photos of the ever same animals... I am excited about them from every angle! :-D

So depending on what kind of person you are, the following photos (which is only part 1...) will either be enjoyable or too much to handle for you. I warned you... ;-)

We had 2 Maasai guides driving us around.
 vulture
zebras
(please pay attention to the details in the picture ;) )
I wish I've had an objective with a better zoom...
But luckily you can drive really close to the animals. It's funny that they don't perceive you as a threat for as long as you are in the car - even if it is as open as the landrover.
 giraffes
antelopes
(I already forgot which ones... might be an impala?)
 This one I remember! It's a Topi gazelle - also known as "blue jeans gazelle". :)
 Acacia trees in all forms, shapes and shades of green.
I had no idea there were so many different acacia species. I always had only one in mind...
The one below was my favourite, because it forms an 'alliance' (aka symbiosis) with ants! In the rain season, when the tree is still green and 'soft', the ants can enter those black bubbles (is it an enlarged thorn or a fruit... I don't know) and build there nests inside, being provided with both food and shelter from the sun. In return, whenever an animal tries to eat the acacia leaves, the ants spray some badass-smelling stuff, which repels the herbivore and protects the tree. Pretty cool!
 Weavers find protection in acacia trees as well. :)
Jackals!
They were so damn cute and reminded me of my dogs. :-)
They didn't like the sun too much and tried to stay in the shade. :)
 This one was rotating in circles, trying to find a comfortable position to lie down
- just like my Charlie. :)
 And those ears! Just like my Stöpselito! :-D
 Wildebeest - the unfortunate bottom of the food chain.
I like their beards! Our guide said that they have it to protect their throats - a little bit.
Finding dead wildebeest in every corner of the National park, kinda tells you that a beard alone is not enough protection... ;)
But wildebeest come in numbers... That's the better survival strategy - if not for the individual. ;)
 The main terrace of our camp. You could just sit there and watch the animals walk by... :-)
 Or then you could also just nap on the terrace - like old Mr.Å. ... ;-)
 In the evening, the lit a bonfire.
 The dining area - you don't miss a single animal walk by! :-)
 The food was amazing! No surprise there...
 And the Kenyan beer was good, too. But yeah... I pretty much liked everything.
our camp
our tent
I again shared it with L., but the standard was a lot different from the one we shared before! ;)
Even when being in the bathroom, you always have an eye on the savanna!
Whenever we wanted to leave our tent, we had to call the reception (with a walky-talky) and they sent us a Maasai - with a spear - who would accompany us to the dining place e.g. And at night they were patrolling the camp, keeping predators at bay, because there was no fence, no nothing. You are really in the middle of the action! :-)

More photos of more animals will follow... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment